New project?

Started by Paul Hittie, December 11, 2013, 02:49:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

I now have the opportunity for a new project....maybe.

The insurance company called - the dealership quit counting at $7k to repair my Jeep, they are guessing $8-9k total. Book value is about $10,900, salvage value $4,000 so they are done.

So here is my question, fellow club-mates - $6,900 check and I could tow the rest home. I probably could part it out and come out ahead. Old but generally well cared-for drive train, tub, soft top, 4 decent tires, blah blah.....

Or - assuming no significant frame damage, which is still up in the air - I could collect the $6,900, put a new front clip and bumper on it, and drive it with a salvage title and maybe have a few bucks left over. Too ambitious for an accountant?
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

J's Jeep

That's a tough one, without seeing pictures and knowing the status of the frame.
I think it boils down to you wanting to keep it and fix it or taking the money and just going out and replacing it without the hastle.  I myself usually go the harder more laborious route and would probably get it back and fix it up. 

My 2 cents worth.

gogolen

Can you get/post a copy of the estimate from the dealership so we know what all needs to get replaced? 

"maybe have a few bucks left over."

I'm laughed so hard coffee came out of my nose.

gogolen

On the brighter side of things, you were saying you needed new fenders anyway.

Paul Hittie

I am headed to the dealership in the morning to go over the estimate, will update when I know more.

Sent from my electronic tether

Paul Hittie

I think I found my replacement Jeep - I responded to an ad on Auto trader, turns out it was Brad who has wheeled with us a couple of times at Bundy Hill.  Went to look it over and take it for a quick snowy drive, just need to get all of the insurance stuff wrapped up so I can go pick it up before he changes his mind about selling it.  He is looking for something more family friendly, but when he and Deb were talking while Jonathon and I were on our test drive he is not sure selling his LJ is really what he wants to do.

Paul Hittie

Interesting pic from Bundy Hill last year.  Recognize the Jeeps?

LPM606

That's pretty funny- if you buy Brad's that picture will have both of your jeeps - like some kind of timer warp thing...