D44 Axle Build (Dana 44HD Thoughts)

Started by Jack M, June 29, 2018, 03:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack M

I'm at the point where I'm exploring building up my axles. I currently have the D30 up front and wanting to go to a 44. I've looked at quite a few housing options and was wondering if anybody has an opinion on the Mopar D44HD that uses the J8 tubes (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5160036). Is this the same axle used in the Recon? If so, it should also have stronger inner C's, right?

For a heavier duty housing, I can get it for a decent price compared to other options on the market.

Thoughts?

Ken

The only difference between a JKs dana 30 and a JKs Rubicon dana 44 is the pumpkin and gears.  They have the same tubes and c's and since sometime in 2013 the same u-joints.  If you get a new axle assembly for your JK, get one that is wider by 4 inches for turning clearance.  Also get one that has the pinion tipped up 2 to 5 deg so when it is lifted, the drive shaft angle is better.  If this axle is the one used on the Rubicon Recon then the tubes and C's (I think) are stronger.  The recon axle is the axle that is used on the Egyptian army Jeeps.
Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.

StingRay66

Mark (president) rebuilt my d30 and after seeing how much $ and  time was put into it he just bought a G2 axle assembly. Equivalent to a d44 with heavy duty every thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

Jack M

Quote from: StingRay66 on June 30, 2018, 05:28:39 PM
Mark (president) rebuilt my d30 and after seeing how much $ and  time was put into it he just bought a G2 axle assembly. Equivalent to a d44 with heavy duty every thing.

This was my initial thought as well. If I go this route though, I'd be able to have a axle housing with just about as much strength as a core 44 (if my assumptions are correct) for the same budget except I'd be able to go with 35 spline RCV shafts as I have a friend who will do the labor for free. I'm just trying to ensure that J8 housing will be as stout as an aftermarket one.