New shoes for the LJ

Started by rallykid, May 14, 2009, 06:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallykid

Finally got my 33's on today and got a nasty surprise of the spare not fitting on the carrier. No time to pick one up or get one made before the weekend so after consulting with our very own master fabricator Neil his "take the bumper off, that will give you plenty of clearance" comment gave me an idea.

Using the spare transfer case lowering kit I had from my lift that I didn't need I used the bolts and spacers to relocate the bumper slightly and everything fits fine. Not an ideal solution but it will definitely work until I can get a new swing out. I can't wait to see how they do on the trail this weekend. They have a bit of a howl which is to be expected but are surprisingly quiet for a mud tire. A 1 1/2 inch spacer in the front and a 1 inch in the rear and I think she will be sitting just about right.

Always outnumbered, never outgunned

94_xj_country

looks great. let me know how you like them, i plan on buying a set if i ever get a real job again
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

Herezja

Looking good!!

::woot::

Paul Hittie

I like it, and I too have been looking at the KM2 for my next set so keep us posted on how they wear on the street and how they play in the dirt.

I ourchased an inexpensive relocation mount for the spare that moves the tire out and up about 2" each direction - works well, but I need to extend the rubber bimpers a bit, it does not have any support that far out.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

rallykid

Absolutely loving the tires after wheeling it last weekend in Roscommon. I was taking on things I never would have tried with AT's. They have a growl to them up to about 15 MPH and you can definitely feel you are on a mud tire up to that speed but after that they are as smooth as my AT's on the road. They did great in the wet (I had them siped) driving up 75 to Roscommon and then the UP and on the 2 lanes with no problems with braking or traction. I dropped into a mud hole that was deep enough that when I caught the edge I tweaked my bumper and they pulled through with no sweat. If they wear well and do good in the snow I will never go back to an AT tire. It got wheeled hard last weekend when we were at the cabin in Roscommon.

I am not sure how the sides of the Jeep look as we just got back home from our trip we started on the 16th and I haven't had a chance to wash it yet but I put the hard top back on before this trip and it has so much trail rash that it may be getting repainted in the fall.  ::ouch::
Always outnumbered, never outgunned