Auto vs. stick shift

Started by Bill4X4, November 17, 2008, 08:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill4X4

I am looking for a used Wrangler and I'm looking for some opinions on auto trans vs. stick shift for off roading. This vehicle will not be my DD just used for recreation. I am leaning to a stick but my wife and son have never driven one so they think I should get an auto trans. What about reliability and ease of use for off roading?

Mudviper

I don't think there is one better then the other, it all depends on driver style and preferrence. I have used manual and auto transmission for offroading. There are situation where I was in my manual that I wish I had an auto and situations that when I was in my auto that I wish that I had a manual. It also comes down to the type of offroading you will be doing. When I hillclimb I prefer to have an auto, but if I was slow trail riding, a manual comes in handy at times. For rock crawling a manual might be better, but again autos work just fine too.

Anonymous

I agree with Steve, it's all a personal preference.  I have a manual, and wouldn't have it any other way ::woot::

Paul Hittie

I used to swear by my manual, until Deb got the '04 with an auto.  Auto is nice, point it in the right direction and give it some gas.  But auto doesn't like water.  And kicks out a lot of heat in the summer time.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance