The Jeep is Back....but there are problems!

Started by Herezja, June 17, 2009, 08:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herezja

Well...I did finally get the Jeep back last night and worked on it until 11 pm getting it put back together to drive to work this morning.

So...when it arrived, it looks like they strapped it down in the container wrong and LITERALLY rubbed the rubber off all 4 tires in places, right down to the threads! They are still holding air, but are kind of untrustworthy to me....so it looks like I have to replace all 4 of my 35" Dunlops. I can guarantee that someone is going to get a bill for that!! Also....they managed to blow out one of my rear shocks. That one is easily remedied, though and I already placed the order on 4wd.com.

But here is the real kicker....The steering is REALLY squirrelly on the road. The Jeep kind of feels like it has a mind of its own and I am fighting it to stay in the lane at times. And lane changes on the hwy are really a harrowing experience! It just sort of wanders between the lines and when I try to straighten it out, it feels like the Jeep (or steering) is overcompensating....even with the slightest nudge to the wheel. And then it pitches a little back and forth until it straightens itself out. It wasn't like this AT ALL when I left it to ship, so I have no clue what it could be at this point. I don't think it is the tires, but I guess it is possible.

I really had no idea about this steering issue until I was already on my way to work, so I am going to crawl under it tonight and see what I see, but I am also going to give 2 Track Minds a call as soon as they open this morning, with the hope that they can fit me in on Saturday morning. In the meantime, though....does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this goofey steering/tracking issue?

Thanks!

Chris

::Jeep::

Herezja

Just an update....

Well....I am at the dealership in Bay City right now to have the Jeep checked out from top to bottom. After all the shipping fiascos, I figured it probably wasn't a bad idea. I am getting ALL the fluids changed while I am here and, come to find out, the reason the Jeep was basically trying to drive itself is because the bolts holding the rear track bar were loose (or were loosened by a third party??). Hopefully that was the problem, but they seem to think it is after finding it.

So....hopefully I will be out of here soon and have control over the Jeep again....as opposed to it trying to drive itself!

I guess I am going to have to order tires either today or tomorrow as well. They are still holding air well, but they just don't give me that "warm and fuzzy" feeling. I am in the process of making the Department of State reimburse me for at least the tires....we'll see how that goes. Keep your fingers crossed!

jeepfan1974

man that stinks i think the tires might give you some of the sterring issiue but not as much as the loose bolts
Let\'s go wheeling!

longarm

Chris, let me know BEFORE you buy tires.  I have a connection at Discount Tire in Burton.  I'll save you a few bucks.  If your going to replace your 35's with 35's, consider the Cooper Discoverer STT.  I absolutly love mine.  Either that or the NEW MTR with Kevlar in it.  I had the Goodyear Wrangler SIlent Armor (All Terrain with Kevlar on my KJ) and loved em.  They were quiet and IMO much better than my BFG AT's.  Something to consider.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

Herezja

Quote from: "longarm"Chris, let me know BEFORE you buy tires.  I have a connection at Discount Tire in Burton.  I'll save you a few bucks.  If your going to replace your 35's with 35's, consider the Cooper Discoverer STT.  I absolutly love mine.  Either that or the NEW MTR with Kevlar in it.  I had the Goodyear Wrangler SIlent Armor (All Terrain with Kevlar on my KJ) and loved em.  They were quiet and IMO much better than my BFG AT's.  Something to consider.

Thanks, dude....I may take you up on that. I am waiting to hear about making a claim to get these tires paid for, then I will probably go ahead and order something. Maybe this week....at least I hope.

Right now I am on 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, so I am looking to replace them with a another aggressive MT. Haven't decided if I am going with Dunlop again or not....so I ma open for suggestions at this point.

::Jeep::