deciding on lift kit

Started by ricochet1987, December 02, 2009, 08:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet1987

i have found a few lift kits...   http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_yj_4.html or http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=14924   ...rough country is cheaper but i dont know which is better....be great for some insite thanks
J.E.E.P= Just Each and Every Paycheck!!!

TechJeeper

I would go with the rough country, and upgrade the shocks.  Then again, you have square headlights and I know nothing about leaf springs.

Paul Hittie

The only experience I have is with BDS.  I ran 2" leaves that were closer to 3", BDS shocks and MORE greasable shackles, and got rid of both track bars.  I liked that setup better my current setup on the LJ.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

ricochet1987

so when i do my lift do i really need my track bar??? bc it comes with a bracket but wondering if i really need one its going to be a dd

TechJeeper

If it comes with the bracket, I would say run it, I noticed a huge differance when I put my rear trackbar relocater on.

ricochet1987

ok what does the track bar even do lol

dbikers

bds, ome, black diamond good leaf spring kits...i'd steer clear of the RC
and the best use for front and rear trac bars is to keep your garbage can from blowing away in a wind storm
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain

dbikers

bds, ome, black diamond good leaf spring kits...i'd steer clear of the RC
and the best use for front and rear trac bars is to keep your garbage can from blowing away in a wind storm
             -- Mark Twain

ricochet1987

ok so dont even worry about the track bars? they dont need to go back on? bc i know some lift kits say to leave it off some say put it back on with the bracket..so what should i do

Paul Hittie

The track bar locates the axle under the frame left-to-right.  With a coil-sprung 4-link like a TJ, there is nothing to prevent the axle from pitching out to the left or right without the track bars, which are connected to the axle on one end and the frame on the other.  On a leaf-sprung vehicle, the leaves and bushings themselves do not allow for much l-r movement.  AMC added the track bar to the design to stiffen up the suspension so it was more sport-car like for the young women they were targeting with their marketing.  CJs never had track bars.

I ran without them - it allows the axle to shift slightly l-r, but it really is only noticeable when you are going down a really grooved-out blacktop road.  The tires tend to want to follow the grooves.  But the on-road loose feeling is more than made for by the offroad flex that you get.  You will need to disconnect the axle ends to install the brackets - zip tie them up out of the way and try it.  If you don't like the way it handles, you can install the brackets and hook them back up.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

ricochet1987

alright thanks...also is skyjacker a good brand of lift? i called jason at uorc and he said the bds will run me 900 ..i dont have that kind of money lol but i like the price of rough country or skyjacker...also warrior products, or superlift...what all do you guys suggest...i will prolly get bds shocks but want the kit from something else

dbikers

here's the black diamond //www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1578  ....$733 shipped free...i think i'd get this before the superlift and i know i'd get it before the RC...but it's just my .02

it's quite a bit more $$ than the RC, but the RC leafs are known for flattening out / sagging...if you get the RC keep your receipt and be prepared to replace them 2 or 3 times during the time you have your jeep

oh, and you can get like an add'l 10% discount on the RC through jeepforum.com/form   (there is a very long RC thread in the YJ section).
             -- Mark Twain

ricochet1987

ok that lift that you sent me the link to does that come with the tcase lowering kit?

TechJeeper

Quote from: "dbikers"here's the black diamond //www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/1578  ....$733 shipped free...i think i'd get this before the superlift and i know i'd get it before the RC...but it's just my .02

it's quite a bit more $$ than the RC, but the RC leafs are known for flattening out / sagging...if you get the RC keep your receipt and be prepared to replace them 2 or 3 times during the time you have your jeep

oh, and you can get like an add'l 10% discount on the RC through jeepforum.com/form   (there is a very long RC thread in the YJ section).

Whoa!  I had a feeling that you would show up for this thread :P Long time no see!

dbikers

i believe so but if not i have an extra set of them (i did something different with mine)....
i bought mine 2 yrs ago but i only paid 579.....
i'll do a bit more lookin'
             -- Mark Twain