Blew Up My Tom Woods Driveshaft!! w/ Carnage Pics!

Started by Herezja, January 22, 2010, 10:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herezja

So I was on my way to work this morning, and all of a sudden there was a huge bang in the rear of the Jeep. So I pulled over, looked underneath and guess what....the driveshaft wasn't there! I looked down the road and there it was, laying on the shoulder.

I managed to get the Jeep home in 4wd and crawled under it. From what I can tell the CV Joint broke. I have the 1350 CV Joint from Tom Woods, which is supposedly "The 1350 series universal joint is suggested if your intended usage would be the most aggressive "hard core" type of four wheeling". HA!!

So here is the list of carnage:
Broken CV Joint
Broken U Joint (both ends sheared right off)
Sheared bolt at the rear pumpkin
And who knows what else that I haven't found yet.

I currently have the bolts (that are holding whats left of the CV Joint on the Jeep) soaking in some 40 and a call into Tom Woods (they don't open for another hour). I am a little agitated to say the least, considering I spent $500 on this thing and it blew up for no apparent reason....I haven't been wheeling since the last time I went to the Mounds with Phitte and the crew....before Thanksgiving I think?

Anywho....I am on a "work from home" day, so if anyone is in the Richmond area and wants to stop by to see the carnage in person, feel free! I will try to post up some pics as soon as I get all this garbage worked out. I will also update throughout the day, if anyone wants to keep up on the saga....I am a bit curious to find out what Tom Woods is going to do about this.

Herezja

I just talked to Troy at Tom Woods....

He is saying that I need to pack the driveshaft up and send it to them so they can analyze where the point of failure happened. Hopefully they will be able to rebuild/repair it, but who knows. The shaft itself looks fine, but the U Joints and the CV Joint are done. He said that if it was a design/construction flaw, they will repair it for free, if not then they will work with me on a price and get it fixed or replaced. We'll see what happens....stay tuned for more in the next few days.

Paul Hittie

Better make sure t-case and rear diff are still functioning normally, but it sounds like it if you made it home without something else going kablooey.  Maintenance issues?  Never had trouble getting grease into the joints?
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

Herezja

Quote from: "phittie1100"Better make sure t-case and rear diff are still functioning normally, but it sounds like it if you made it home without something else going kablooey.  Maintenance issues?  Never had trouble getting grease into the joints?

Never.....the grease fittings were even still a little damp. So I don't think grease was the problem.

Herezja

Here are some pics while I was pulling what was left of the CV Joint....I think it is pretty obvious where the point of failure was....