Ball Joints

Started by Paul Hittie, January 28, 2010, 08:31:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

My right ball joints sound like micowave popcorn.  heading to AA this week for parts and tools.  Tips, tricks, words of wisdom and offers of help (Sunday) will be warmly welcomed.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

jeepfan1974

rent a ball joint press it makes life way easier and a zone loans them out free     oh and dont use duct tape  much
Let\'s go wheeling!

Paul Hittie

A little later than planned, but finally done.  The ball joint press kit from AA makes it pretty easy once you get started.  The tough part was figuring out the press, but once I gave up the instructions and just figured it out it went pretty well.  Had to buy a new set of super-sized sockets to work on the lower ball joint (1 5/16" nut).  If swapping an engine or regearing is 5 wrenches of difficulty and changing a tire is 1 wrench, this is about a 2-3 wrench project.

rallykid

Would have been happy to jump in and lend a hand but I have been at work all day. Trust me, I would have been much happier changing your ball joints.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned

Paul Hittie

FYI my lower balljoint was a MOOG lifetime warranty part, and was OK.  The bad one was the upper, I replaced both anyways since I had the tool and had it all apart.  If anyone needs a replacement lower, its yours.