CB Radio Problem

Started by hemrides, June 05, 2010, 04:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemrides

I get engine noise/feedback in my CB.
I have installed a Uniden 520 CB in my Jeep.  I have a rear bumper mount ant., 4 ft. Fire Stick.  I ran the ant. wire along the inside next to all of the electrical harness that runs to the back for the hard top.  I have run the hot and ground wire to the fuse box and tried to run it straight to the battery.  I also purchased a noise filter and still have the same problem.  I verified that the ground wire to the ant. is good.  In fact I installed a new one just to make sure.  I have a handheld CB and I can send and received just fine, from a distance of about ΒΌ mile.  If I turn the squelch up the noise stops.  

Has anyone else had this problem?  If you did, what was your solution?

Thanks,
Dave

TechJeeper

hmmm, have you tried to check the swr?  Doing so whould tell you if its a problem with the setup or mechanical.  Also, what wire are you using?  I am guessing its one of them ring firestick ones, if it is, get rid of that junk and get rid of your problem, if not... then its hard to say without checking it out...

hemrides

Gr8archer,

I did the swr...forgot to mention that.  Best i can get it is a little under 2.   What did you mean about the wire.  When you say ring, do you mean at the ant.  If so then yes I have that type of connector at the ant.

Thanks,

Dave

TechJeeper

I have had and seen nothing but problems with the ring style connectors... I think phittie battled with that cable for a while....

This is the setup I recomend, radio shack sells the wiring.  

TechJeeper

Make sure your setup looks like this to ensure the ring type will work

Paul Hittie

It only took a year or so, but my FireRing seems to be working.  I definitely had less trouble on my YJ with the other connection you have pictured.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

jeepfan1974

i would replace the mount and cable i have seen the ring type be a problem many times the longevity of them is pretty crappy they connection gets corroded
Let\'s go wheeling!

Herezja

Check your ground as well and the connections for your power to the CB. 90% of the time it was a bad/loose ground to the CB itself when I have experienced this. Try moving your ground to a new location on the body or frame and make sure you sand any paint/rust etc. away underneath where the ground connection touches. I have even used a self tapping screw to attached a gound when I couldn't find a close enough existing bolt to attach a ground to. Just a thought, but this usually solves this particular problem when I have run into it.