70th Anniversary Cruise

Started by LPM606, April 22, 2011, 01:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPM606

This looks pretty neat...

At the Chrysler Headquarters in auburn hills, the have a year-long exhibit going on celebrating the 70th anniversary of Jeep.  Here is their little blurb about it - I guess they have a museum at the haedquarters...

An original 1941 Willys MA is the focal point of 70 Years of Jeep, an anniversary exhibition celebrating one of the automotive industry's most iconic vehicles.

Featuring a changing array of eight production and concept vehicles, 70 Years of Jeep traces the vehicle's evolutionary rise from military reconnaissance use to the transportation of choice in navigating all manner of terrain for millions of adventure-seekers. The special exhibit also features historical images, memorabilia and extensive narrative that chronicles Jeep's embodiment of freedom and pride for seven decades.

The Museum is showcasing Willys MA78621, one of approximately 45 known 1941 models in the world, an estimated 20 of which are restored. Of the 20 restored vehicles, eight are in the U.S. Willys MA78621 is on loan from the private collection of George and Bernadette Hollins of Palos Park, Ill. who have traced the vehicle's origins back to July 5, 1941, the day it was delivered to the U.S. Army from the Willys-Overland plant in Toledo, OH. It is believed to be one of four MA shipped to the 15th Infantry for testing in Fort Lewis, WA.

MA78621 was discovered rusting away in a farmer's field near Fort Lewis in 2001 and was restored the next year.

They are having a cruise on the anniversary, a wednesday night.  Might be worth taking a half day off and going down as a group to check out the museum and then stay for the car cruise.  Here is a link to the brochure.  

http://wpchryslermuseum.org/assets/atta ... r10511.pdf

Anybody else think this would be a cool idea?

Paul Hittie

July 13 is Jeep night - would be a nice excuse for a topless cruise to Auburn Hills
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

LPM606

Yes, and reading further into it, I don't even think the 1/2 day would be needed - it sayd the "cruise", which seem to be more of a car show (then maybe they cruise after?) is 5:30-8:30 and includes touring the museum.  So, I gues if we rolled out of Davison by 5:00 or so we would be in good shape - maybe a little earlier.  Plenty of time to figure it out though...

Paul Hittie

My dad and I went down there - there were a lot of cool old Jeeps (5 49-52 Jeepsters in one place!) Jeeps built/owned by Chrysler employees, plus a bunch of others.  There were also a fair number of classic cars, Mopars and other makes as well.  It was a good show if you are into that sort of thing.

Ran into Carl (Grifter) and his wife while we were there too, they are doing well, still have the Cherokee.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance