Alternator or Gremlins

Started by NayPalm, January 11, 2012, 08:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naypalm

So I was stranded yesterday... twice! Battery had 0 volts on the dash, but I was able to get it jumped (twice) and drive it home. While driving it home, the radio would not turn on and the powered windows acted incredibly "slow".

I put a new battery in today, Voltage reads 12V with engine off, and 12V with engine running.. Anyone know how I was able to drive home with a dead battery and dead alternator? Or perhaps my dash gauges have gremlins.

Paul Hittie

Gizmo Kaka

Sounds like a dead battery but good alternator otherwise it would not have stayed running after a jump.  Advanced Auto will test for free.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

TechJeeper

Sounds like battery was toast and the Alternator got you home....

naypalm

Quote from: "TechJeeper"Sounds like battery was toast and the Alternator got you home....

Thats what I thought. Well, today it said 14V but it popped back down to 12V a few times after hitting potholes. If it drops below 12 I'll have it tested. Replacing alternators on XJ's SUCK.

Quote from: "phittie1100"Gizmo Kaka

Should I leave food under the hood? :P

naypalm

Yep, it was the alternator, Got it replaced today and works fine once again. At least I have a spare new battery for when the old one goes.

I wonder what else will break this year :roll:

$129.00