JK front skid plate recommendations

Started by stans1stjeep, September 13, 2012, 11:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stans1stjeep

After Bundy Hill, I'm looking at replacing the factory plastic with a steel part. I'm looking at either a Rugged Ridge or Body Armor part, but I see that someone in the club has a Skid Row front skid. I was concerned that the metal was too thin and the laser cut lettering would weaken the skid even further. So... how strong is it really?

Paul Hittie

I think Ed's Skid Row skid is plenty strong, but it seems that any skids with cutouts start to rust sooner.  More surfaces in the powder coating that can fail

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

stans1stjeep

Thanks for the comment Paul.  I like the Rugged Ridge the best, only problem is that there is an opening between it and the bumper.  I'm worried that a branch could get in there and puncture the radiator, and/or that air passing thru the radiator could recirculate back thru the front of the radiator, causing overheating. I saw pics where the OP made a plate to close off the opening and am thinking that's the way to go.

stans1stjeep

Just an update. I ordered the Rugged Ridge front skid plate. Expect it some time next week. Based on input from a Wangler Forum member, I'm fab'ing a 1/8" steel plate to fill the gap above the RR skid.

Paul Hittie

If you need help with the install, give a holler

When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

stans1stjeep

Quote from: phittie1100 on October 05, 2012, 07:19:11 AM
If you need help with the install, give a holler

Thanks, I'll let you know, no parts yet. If you have a hoist, that would be helpful.

stans1stjeep

Job done!
I would add a picture, but I can't figure out how. The file attachment max size is too small for me to edit the file down.

LPM606

As to the worrries about the strength of my skid plate with the die cut logo, we will be posting some pics from this weekend  with the jeep hung up on that plate - it did the job just fine!

stans1stjeep

Playing with the image upload process. Here is the same picture reduced in size (I hope)