electrical

Started by mj86, March 21, 2013, 03:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mj86

Need some help. I'm putting a winch and 4-6 lights on the comanche. I'm thinking about putting a stand alone system with a deep csell battery. Does anyone have an idea on what size syliniod (spelling may not be right)I would need?

J's Jeep

Wish I could help you Sid.  I am about to install a winch as well and not sure of the best way to hook it up.

mj86

I was told if u don't have to hook it up to your regular system, that's better.

gogolen

Who the hell told you that?????? Without input from the alternator you'll kill even the biggest battery in about 10 seconds running a winch under load.

Paul Hittie

I have run winches and a big gay light bar over the from a single battery system for years.  Even a non deep cell battery (used a standard Walmart auto battery for a while)

Sent from my electronic tether
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

mj86

I'm new to all of this, so I just ask people who "I think might know". I'm putting this out there to verify what I have been told. A deep cell battery(optima yellow top) w/ a connecter block or silenoid or something. And that this would be sufficient to run the winch and lights, when needed. This would be easier than a new alternator to charge the regular battery and a second. Just throwing this out there to see if this sounds correct. This build is on a shoestring budget, so if there is a way to save that's me. Thanks for all the help.

I want to see what lies beyond that next hill or valley.
MJ86

gogolen

Just get a good battery and hook it up, you'll be fine.  A good battery is more than capable of running extra lights and a winch.

mj86

So a good battery, is there a certain amp I should be getting? The winch is 12,000lb and about 200watts of lights. Just put in the place on my current battery ?

StingRay66

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/dual-battery-isolated-batteries-winch-welding-1231432/

Here's a link to the Jeep Forum page with a diagram maybe it will help you. One of the guys that was with Ryan and I on the Saturday part of the Grayling trip told me to put a very heave gaug wire from the alt. to the battery so it can charge better too.
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

gogolen

Quote from: mj86 on March 22, 2013, 01:07:44 PM
So a good battery, is there a certain amp I should be getting? The winch is 12,000lb and about 200watts of lights. Just put in the place on my current battery ?

Get one with the highest Ah (amp hours) and reserve capacity.  AGM batteries seem to be the ticket as of late.  I'd look into the Die Hard series of AGMs. They have a little higher Ah and reserve capacity than the optimas for a cheaper price, they just don't look as cool.

mj86

I have 90 amp alternator, will that be sufficient?

gogolen

That's all I run. Seems to be sufficient for my 2000 watt stereo, winch, kc lights, rigid leds, running lights, cb, and cell phone.

NewRide

I have a red top battery winch , 2 running lights and 2 "off road " lights I converted to high/low beams ... I'm running my OEM alt and have been doing fine with them for about 6 years ... Just saying ... Oh and my stereo and 150 watt speakers lol
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

mj86

Thanks to all, I'm a novice to all this. I just want to make sure doing one thing doesn't cause something else to go out.
Getting close to doing this so any other advise is welcome.
Thanks again
MJ86

NewRide

Now that doesn't mean one thing wont cause another thing to go wrong .. It is a Jeep LOL ... But thats the fun of it all !
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)