Stoooooopid Jeep

Started by Major Mud, October 06, 2007, 04:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major Mud

Ok, here goes nothing. Got an 85 CJ with the 258 I6. 4.0 head swap, MSD 6 ignition box etc. Will not start. I've got fuel to the carb, and no problems with air as I took the air cleaner off to try to get it to start. Pulled plugs and they look like exactly the way they should. How do I test the coil and/or plugs for spark without getting bit by electricity? Or am I just wasting my time and looking in the wrong place?

ouchman

make sure you got power going to the coil first
then a little starter fluid in the carb, if it sputters you got spark
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

COF radio http:// 216.59.4.130:8014/listen.pls  http://xat.com/chat/room/85630064/

Major Mud

Good call on the starting fluid. Gonna try that in a bit.

jeepfan1974

but be careful  :D
Let\'s go wheeling!

Anonymous

shoulda called me, and I woulda come down and helped ya....

Mudviper

One quick method that I have used to check spark is to pull one of the spark plugs, plug it back into it's wire, hold it up to the block. Have someone turn the engine over and see if the plug fires to the block. If you do get shock. That is another way of finding out if your wires are good..lol. It only hurts for a little bit.

You can pick up spark plug testers at the auto parts store quite cheap and pullers to hold the wire. Also make sure that the Distributor Cap is not cracked.

Anonymous

is there gas in it????  Just trying to be helpful :mrgreen:

I dunno.  That's usually when I get irritated, give up, and go look in the paper for a new ride...

Mudviper

Quote from: "PetalMel"is there gas in it????  Just trying to be helpful :mrgreen:

I have kind of done that before. The ex girlfiend called a few years back telling me that she couldn't get her car started. So I drove all the way to Ann Arbor to see what was the problem. Spent a couple hours going through all the standard checks. What the problem actually was is that she had her car on a bit of a slant, so all the gas that she had was resting away from the internal pump. Once we move the car so that the gas was where the pump was located, the car started right up.

NewRide

Take an electrical tester and make sure you have power to the coil ... if thats good then check and make sure its comin out of the coil ! If thats all good then make sure you have spark going to the distributor and then to the plugs ... you only need 3 things to run lol Spark , Gas and Air .. ok maybe 4 compression.  If you have all that then away you go !!
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Major Mud

Thanks all. Will try some suggestions and keep you all posted.

Mudviper

Where are you located? If you are in the area I might be able to swing by and give a hand or two.

Major Mud

Located in Davison, but will be out of town for the week for work.

More info. Checked for spark by pulling a plug and grounding out on block. No spark. And yes, i put a good coil in (I know it's good cuz I tested it according to the haynes manual if that can be trusted).

NewRide

If you are getting spark out of your coil then your dist is shot !
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)