Aluminum - you knew it was coming!

Started by OzzysCJ, October 03, 2014, 12:09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzzysCJ

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/10/02/jeep-wrangler-may-go-aluminum/?intcmp=features

Wrangler Aluminum unibody - we've smelled it coming for a long time.  perhaps its closer than we think!!  good to hear in the article that they still intend to stay true to the roots and have considered the off-road enthusiasts noting that a number of buyers still do modifications to their vehicles! ;)

Does Anybody know more about this?

Paul Hittie

The aluminium part doesn't bother me nearly as much as the tiny turbo engines or the IFS they also are discussing
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

NewRide

Or the fact they are talking about moving that product out of Toledo .....
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

OzzysCJ

The ifs has really got me worked up...  it's just so out of our norm.  Almost as huge a change as the leaf to coil springs in 1997

alan6271

I think for the money they make on the new Wranglers, they can afford to re-tool Toledo just fine.  Typical Corporation.  If it works, lets fix it.
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

gogolen

Quote from: alan6271 on November 08, 2014, 09:46:15 AM
I think for the money they make on the new Wranglers, they can afford to re-tool Toledo just fine.  Typical Corporation.  If it works, lets fix it.
Problem being is the downtime to re-tool the plant.  They can't keep up with production demands as it is. So it doesn't really work, and they need to fix it.

alan6271

I see.  That's fine.  I just really hope they fix it by keeping production in the US.
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!