4 wheel drive ......

Started by NewRide, February 09, 2008, 12:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewRide

Ok ... I need a bit of help figuring out whats wrong. When I shift into 4wheel high it feels like its missing ... skipping a tooth or something. It slips .... What the best way/place to start looking for problems .
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

94_xj_country

check your joints and if they're good crack open the case
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

dbikers

what about 4 lo?  no skipping
any squealing?  (U sure gots a purdy mouth)
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain

jeepfan1974

i would check the linkages the stupid plastic bushings get sloppy and might be the problem                we are talking about the yj right ?
Let\'s go wheeling!

NewRide

Yup its the YJ ...
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."

Anonymous

there's the problem right there.

94_xj_country

Quote from: "dbikers"any squealing?  (U sure gots a purdy mouth)

:lol:
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

Paul Hittie

Quote from: "Harley"there's the problem right there.

OK let's be nice about the square headlight thing.... ::trout::
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

jeepfan1974

well at least he doesnt own a h2       :D
Let\'s go wheeling!

longarm

Quote from: "jeepfan1974"well at least he doesnt own a h2       :D

:mrgreen:    :mrgreen:  And the truth shall set you free!!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."

NewRide

And it does good in the water LOL

Anyways ... today I pulled the shifter motor off at the axle .. checked the vacuum and its a 16 lbs and it holds ... made sure the lines wheren't damaged. So that seems to be working fine. I can't reproduce when and how the clunk is made. Its not consistent with anything that might suggest its a missing tooth. Now I wonder if the chain in the tcase is stretched . It seems to want to shift in and out of 4wheel even when the selector is in 4hi. I can feel the front end disengage as I'm driving. Also are TJ front drive shafts and YJ's the same length. When I swapped out my Tcase 2 years ago I changed the front yoke on my axle so I could use the one from a TJ... would that make a difference. This has been an ongoing problem I am not wanting it to go away lol

Anonymous

Neither do I  :mrgreen:

Paul Hittie

When you checked the shift motor on the front axle, did you check the condition of the shift fork itself?  They wear out over time, and if you aren't moving the collar fully over the tab on the axle, it might be kicking the collar back under torque, big bump, etc.  That would "unengage" your front axle.  If you drop it back into 2HI, then back to 4HI, does it re-engage for a while?
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

NewRide

I don't even have to try to shift it to make it re-engage when its in 4hi , it will go out then back in ...

Anonymous

I had a similar problem with a Blazer I had.  Wound up being the shift forks, so I would check those out real good.