My good deed for vacation

Started by Major Mud, February 22, 2008, 10:15:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Major Mud

I got to be a hero in my kids eyes today.

Another short story running long post.

We went to Wet and Wild (waterpark here in Orlando). We were all out playing in the wave pool when the life guard blows his whistle and cannon balls the pool right behind my daughter and me. I turn around and see 2 girls and 1 guy doing the "I can't swim and I'm out too deep" bob in the water. My first thought is, wow, I got a front row seat for a real life-saving. The next thought is more math than thinking. 3 people sort of drowning - 1 life guard = 2 people drowning. Fortunately for 2 of them, the life guard was good and he got 2. Now there are 4 people in the pool involved in the "mission". 3 are okay and 1 is about to make a mess in his speedo. For some reason the life guard class I took as a sophmore in high school kinda' kicked in and I did the dumbest thing this whole vacation. I grabbed not-so-floatie guy and drug him to the 4 foot marker so he could stand. After all the thank-you's and stuff, I reflected back on when I took life-guard certification some 20 odd years ago. The one thing I remembered most from that class was that the victim is in panic mode, and will literally attack the person rescuing them in an attempt to get out of their dilema. This guy could have ridden me to the bottom of the pool and that would have been it. Thus the reason for the dumb part. All said and done though, I'm ok, the non-swimming trio stayed by the kiddie pool for the rest of the day, and my kids still think I'm a pretty cool dad.

dbikers

Quote from: "phittie1100"
Quote from: "Major Mud"... and my kids still think I'm a pretty cool dad.

Image is everything - they won't always think that, gotta make the most of it while you can.

Glad everything turned out OK.

Don't even ask.....
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain

Anonymous

you do all the cool stuff when we aren't with you.  I think you are making stuff up :)

Just kidding!!  Glad you were able to help out.  I would have freaked.  Have a safe ride back--it's awking cold here; turn back if you can!!!!!

Nosilla

That awesome Jeff.

Major Mud

Quote from: "PetalMel"you do all the cool stuff when we aren't with you.  I think you are making stuff up :)

Just kidding!!  Glad you were able to help out.  I would have freaked.  Have a safe ride back--it's awking cold here; turn back if you can!!!!!

We had to drag Rene kicking and screaming to the truck :lol:

But as of 8:23 am I'm convinced that Hell can and has frozen over. I wanna' go back!!!!

Major Mud

Quote from: "dbikers"
Quote from: "phittie1100"
Quote from: "Major Mud"... and my kids still think I'm a pretty cool dad.

Image is everything - they won't always think that, gotta make the most of it while you can.

Glad everything turned out OK.

Don't even ask.....

Boy ain't that the truth :roll: