35's...

Started by astrogiblet, July 02, 2007, 07:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

I'm wondering. I'm trying to avoid buying 33's, saving up money, spending a grand on re-gear, having to sell my 33's, and then buy 35's.

The concern is that I have the 4cyl, and I have an auto tranny. I've been told I'd have to re-gear to run 35's. I'm wondering if either of these alternatives would work better or be cheaper/easier:

Alternative 1 (things I want to do in the near future anyways):
-Banks Monster Exhaust
-Performance Intake
-Jet Performance Chip
-Banks TorqueTubes Exhaust Manifold

Alternative 2 (what I wanted to do in the somewhat distant future anyways):
-Buy Dana 35/44/60 locking axles that already have the gear ratio I need in them
-Not sure what else I'd have to buy to do this

If I went the route of alternative 1, I'd probably eventually re-gear anyways. But I'm wondering if those few parts in alternative 1 would give me enough extra power (like 50 or so horse from all that stuff right?) that I wouldn't struggle to get up to speed turning 35's.

Or would I really be better off going with 33's first, saving up, re-gearing, then getting 35's and going through all that work?

-Brandon

Nosilla

you will never gain 50 HP out of your engine, that would be almost a 50% gain. I would just say regear and do the 35's if you can. Or just get your 33's and run them till you are ready to regear and go 35's.

You can run the 35's just don't plan on driving on the high way faster than 60. Also just don't be in a hurry to get anyplace and you will be fine.

Anonymous

DetR3oit  (Matt)  ran 40's on his 4 popper.  It's all in the gears.  His was a stick, but that doean't matter.

Nosilla

I agree. Heck i have 35's now and have no problem besides not being able to hold it at 70 with out staying in 4th

94_xj_country

just what they said, you'll need to re-gear, shouldnt cost you a grand though. you could pick up some used axles that already have gears in the, or if you just want to buy them kevin at jeeperz creeperz will hook you up, he's good people and does great work.

nice choice on the banks, they're stuff is great
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

Nosilla

you could just find a set of stock TJ axles from a stick 4 banger. i have seen them for about $300.00 that would put you ok for 33's but you will really want 4.56's for 35's.

I have heard it is about $300 - $500 per axle for the gears set up kit and labor.

jeepfan1974

do you know what gears you have    it was my understanding all wranglers with the 4 banger had 4.10's       with the auto tranny i'd say a set of 4.88
's would be your best shot with 35's they would be pushing the limits of thouse axles
Let\'s go wheeling!

Nosilla

Maybe so but does the 2.5 l even have enough torque if you drive some what smart to break a axle? Maybe if it is locked but i doubt it if the axle is open.

I could be wrong.

astrogiblet

I have no clue what gears I have right now. Neil thought 3.73's. I was able to hit 90 on the freeway, going downhill, today if that tells you anything about how my gears are currently.

Hmm.. I really would not mind only being able to do 60 for a while.. until I could afford to re-gear. Maybe that would be the best route.. Get the 35's I want, get the lift I want, drive slow until I can get a re-gear.

That would probably be the cheapest route.

94_xj_country: yea, my dad runs a Banks exhaust on his Dodge Ram Diesel. It sounds fricken bad ass. I'm hoping the Monster Exhaust sounds good on my Jeep too...

If I could get the lift, tires, and lockers I want.. I would be very close to finished with what I eventually want my Jeep to be. I would just want some asthetics, some little things like line-ex'ing the interior, and exhaust, intake, etc.. Just little things would be left. :D

-Brandon

Anonymous

Your first purchase will need to be gears.  If you don't do that first, you will damage your driveline.  And Neil was right, it's about $500 per axle to re-gear.  4.56 minimum too.

Paul Hittie

Don't be in a hurry for monster tires.  I have wheeled a set of smallish 31 ATs for over three years and I've conquered everything I found in MI except mud with that setup.  Here is Paul's alternative 3:

good 31" MT tires
complete set of recovery gear, including winch
better skid plates - steering gear, front diff, oil pan
Good aftermarket bumpers with solid recovery points

Same or less money than you were going to spend, all the stuff you will need/want eventually, and still have a pretty capable rig until you hit the lottery.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

jeepfan1974

the gears are going to put the extra stress combined with the tire size could be to much but i have beat the snot out of quite a few of thouse axles and have yet to snap one running 33's i have jumped it more than once and they are still good  i guess i'd use the axles you have and go from there if they break some day cross that bridge when ya get there          i'm also running leaf springs so they should be taking more beating in theory with the stiffer spring rate
Let\'s go wheeling!

astrogiblet

Yea.. I dont want to rush myself to the point where I start breaking things, but I would like to avoid having to build up so much money to drop, then rebuild up again. I dont make enough money to do that. :D

I dont necessarily want monster tires so I can do more monster offroading, I just like the looks of 35's best, and its what I would eventually want for offroading too.

I guess it still sounds like running 33's would be my best bet for now.

-Brandon

Nosilla

nothing wrong with 33's at all. it can hadle most everything Michigan has to offer.

astrogiblet

Yea.. True. Everytime I look at the 33's on my dads truck, they look so massive. I just gotta learn to be content with what I can afford. :D

-Brandon