Engine Swappage

Started by Yager, June 10, 2008, 12:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yager

Hey, my jeep runs like crap, but my hanes manual says I don't need to time it because it's not carburated. Should I time it anyway?
04 Cherokee Laredo, 95 Wrangler S
mailto:Jammy11b@Gmail.com\">mailto:Jammy11b@Gmail.com

NewRide

Whats it doing ???
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

Yager

Starts really rough, evens out to about 800 RPMs, lacks real power in fifth gear. Which is kind of normal, but it is more weak than the usual 2.5, can't get much over 55mph.

After it turns on, running rough, when it evens out, the check engine light comes on.

Also, I'm not getting a reading from my thermostat elbow on engine temp, I just replaced the thermostat and double checked the connection. I don't want to cook the engine so I'm kind of concerned about not having that gauge working.

If I unplug the intake manifold's big fat vacuum line that runs up to the valve cover, it evens out. If I leave it plugged in, it chugs and dies.

WTF mate?

Yager

Anyone know what's up? Maybe I need to pull my distributer and reseat it checking my measurements again? I don't know.. Vacuum lines?

TechJeeper

"lack of power in 5th gear"

wait, wait, Jeeps have a 5th gear?!

lol, sorry, couldnt resist.

TechJeeper

Also, check and make sure your vac. line isnt clogged.

Yager

I switched them around, it's a little better. Maybe I can just replace all of them.

jeepfan1974

i would check the timing with a timing light and go from there
Let\'s go wheeling!

Yager

I'll check the timing, despite my hanes repair manual's advice, I think that might have something to do with it.

Yager

We switched up the distributer so it's firing on 1 on the distributer. I didn't think that would matter but given the electronic timing advance and that is where the crank position sensor is, I think we might've fixed most of the problem.

There is much better power in the in the lower band, the top end in fifth gear still stinks. Max speed I can get is 53mph on flat level ground with 31" tires, which is still pretty weak.

Tomorrow I will start in on the vacuum lines and keep you updated.

naypalm

Time for 35's?  :lol:

Yager

I somehow doubt that will fix my no top end problem.  ::ouch::