**Another Update** Brake Master Cylinder Issues...FIXED!

Started by Herezja, June 12, 2008, 08:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herezja

I am having a bit of a brake problem...I basically have little to absolutely no pressure at all on my brake pedal and the "brake" light is not only on, but blinking and beeping at me! I have checked everywhere (including all 4 corners) for leaks and have found absolutely nothing and I have also made sure that there is plenty of fluid in the resevoir (and the level has never moved). I ordered a new master cylinder thinking that is the problem. What do you all think?

I am going to replace the master cylinder on Sunday....is there anything that I should watch out for when doing this swap? I was trying to find a tech write up on the internet, but haven't found anything. Anyone know where I could track one down??

It is a 2004 Rubicon.

Thanks!

UPDATE: So, Sunday I went out to the carport and, with the help of my wife, bled the brakes. I saw a few air bubbles come through but I pretty much got a decent flow from the lines. So thinking that was the problem with my mushy brakes, I buttoned everything back up and hopped into the driver's seat. Bam....NO BRAKES AT ALL!!! Hmmm....So, I decided it had to be the master cylinder at this point. So I swapped the master cylinder to the new one, filled it with fluid, made sure that I bled/primed it, and then bled the lines again. Of course, I saw a lot more air coming through the lines, but I also saw even better flow of fluid than before. So, again I buttoned everything back up and....STILL NOTHING. The pedal goes straight to the floor now. At least before I had something, although not great. Now...NOTHING! I even traced all the lines and never found a leak anywhere. So, I drove it into work today (on dirt backroads in 4-LO, working the parking brake when needed) and dropped it off with the Embassy mechanic. Personally I am at a loss at this point. Any ideas??

Paul Hittie

My first stop for tech stuff is usually Stu Olson's website  http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp  but I didn't see a straight-forward master cylinder swap.  I'll keep looking.
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

jeepfan1974

just make sure you bleed the master before attaching the brake lines    then you will still have to bleed the rest of the system once all the lines are attached
Let\'s go wheeling!

Mudviper

Before I even think about replacing the master cylinder, I would bleed the brakes lines at all four corners first. There might be just air in the lines or a small pin hole in one of the lines. I would also check the rear brake cylinders (can't remember what they are called at the moment) to see if the are leaking at all.

Herezja

Quote from: "Mudviper"Before I even think about replacing the master cylinder, I would bleed the brakes lines at all four corners first. There might be just air in the lines or a small pin hole in one of the lines. I would also check the rear brake cylinders (can't remember what they are called at the moment) to see if the are leaking at all.

I haven't seen any leaks at all, but I am planning on a brake bleed first, before I tackle the master cylinder replacement. I am hoping that is all it is, but I am preparing for the cylinder replacement anyway....just in case.

Unfortunately, daylight is limited here (I work until 5:30 and it gets dark at 6:00) so I have to strategically plan everything for the weekends. Basically....I line up all the parts I think I will need, start basic and go from there. Whatever parts I don't use, I will sell with the Jeep when I leave in January. Of course, this technique makes for a GREAT parts bin, but its the best way I have found so far.  :mrgreen:

Herezja

Update #2: It's FIXED!!!  ::woot::  For those of you wondering, it turned out to be the regulator that mounts under the master cylinder...the one thing that I did not have spare parts for. Figures. Apparently, the mechanic here took it apart, cleaned it, and reassembled it and now everything is working well again! He was telling me that alot of times when you replace the master cylinder, that regulator needs to be cleaned out of the old fluid and basic gunk. For those of you looking at doing a master cylinder change....keep that one in mind!

Nosilla

Thanks for letting us learn from your head ache.

Glad it is fixed. Brakes are very important sometimes.

Paul Hittie

It's not like you can just run to the corner auto parts store for anything you discovered you needed after you started!
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

94_xj_country

Quote from: "Nosilla"Brakes are very important sometimes.

i disagree, all loud pedal  ::woot::
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

Herezja

Quote from: "Nosilla"Thanks for letting us learn from your head ache.

Glad it is fixed. Brakes are very important sometimes.

Hey....I'm there for you  :D   I'll tell ya, though, I was suprised at how well it stopped in 4-LO without brakes. It actually stopped better than when I had brakes (when they were just mushy) and all I had to do was let off the gas and white knuckle the parking brake  :mrgreen: 4:1 low-range with a manual tranny just has so many uses!

Quote from: "phittie1100"It's not like you can just run to the corner auto parts store for anything you discovered you needed after you started!

Corner parts store??!!  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I wish.  :lol: Everything is closed on Sundays to add on to the mess. I basically quit working on it on Sunday becuase I ran out of brake fluid, even though I had bought extra.

Can I just say....I can't wait to move back to the U.S.  ::woot::

longarm

I didn't think there were many auto parts stores around there.  Can't you just go out to the corner outside of the embasy and arrange a parts order with the local rebels?  Black Market must be big over there.   :mrgreen:   Sorry I couldn't resist.   :D   Glad you got it fixed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I do not wish for my enemies to be brought to justice, I instead would like to see justice brought to my enemies..."