Acceleration Problem..

Started by astrogiblet, July 10, 2007, 03:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

Ok. Ever since we went on the big offroading trip last Sunday, my Jeeps been having a problem. When we left, every time I came to a complete stop, I would literally have to give it 3/4 throttle or more for my Jeep to even move. It was so bad I've been putting it into neutral, revving it up a little bit, and then dropping it into drive just to get it to go off the line. I've pulled out into the street and not had enough power to get up and go when cars were coming up behind me.

Neil drove it a little in his driveway, and thought the brakes were dragging. I just got back from Muffler Man, and they put it up on a lift and spun all four tires for me and they weren't dragging. I've checked the parking brake and its not in. When the guy at Muffler Man took it for a test drive he said he couldn't feel anything wrong with it.. But I'm not sure if he actually stopped at lights and stuff or not. We checked the tranny fluid level, and it looks fine, and the guy at Muffler Man said he didn't think any water had gotten into the fluid.

So I'm wondering.. might it be the rear diff fluid? Could water have gotten into that? Or what else could it be? The problem is DEFINITELY there, I can say that without a doubt.

-Brandon

Nosilla

Water in the diff will not effect how it drives....trust me i know. I am not sure what it could be. I would have sworn it was the rear brakes. Did they even pull the tires off?

astrogiblet

No, they didn't pull the rear tires off. It was a real thorough inspection  :roll:

I swear when I pull my e-brake and then release it, that the problem seems to be a little lessened for a little while.. but I can't be certain. It might be my head playing tricks on me.

-Brandon

Nosilla

just drive it some more and we can always try to adjust them 1 day soon

NewRide

You change your air filter yet ??
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

astrogiblet

Nah, not yet.. but its not the motor I dont think. I can rev it up no problem, and as soon as I get over 5 or 10mph I dont have any issues at all... Feels as fast as ever..

Went over to DBikers today to pick up the roll cage, and he suggested I might be in 4wd still, or something along those lines.. Came home, got in my Jeep and played around in 4wd, 2wd, and 4 low... Even in 4 low it takes just as long to get up to speed.. so I'm not sure at all.

-Brandon

Nosilla

I swear it is in the back brakes.

94_xj_country

Quote from: "Nosilla"I swear it is in the back brakes.

mud messes with brake, try messin with your parking brake, that might re-set your back brakes
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

LeePotter

Water in tranny?

astrogiblet

Well, I reset the parking brake a bunch of times today. Even had it pulled then tried to take off and didnt notice any difference.

However, coming home from Neils tonight, I realized, if I put my shifter into 1st gear, I never notice the problem. Does an automatic tranny always start you off in 2nd gear?

-Brandon

GOT ROCKS

It shouldn't be starting you off in 2nd gear. How is reverse?  If it is the tranny 1st. and reverse go at the same time usually.

Another thing could be the shifter cable itself.  It could be out of wack.  is your passing gear shifting down when you want it to after getting up to speed?

I live in Grand Blanc, and I will be home before 11am and after 2pm if you want to bring it by for me to check it out as well for ya'.

CAll me at (810) 955-8000 if you decide to stop by.  It should only take a few minutes.

Anthony
RHINO ZJ:
//http://www.rhinozj.com
I <3 my Bacon Pockets!

astrogiblet

Reverse works great, feels like theres no problems at all. Passing gear is a little hesitant to shift in, but that could be cause the brakes are dragging too.

Thanks for the offer. Neil's gonna help me change my back brakes tomorrow (if he's available), as they need to be changed no matter what. If we can't solve the problem I may give you a call.

If its the tranny, its no big deal. Thats what my 3 year unlimited mile drivetrain warranty is for. :)

-Brandon

astrogiblet

So.. We pulled my wheels off today, the rear brakes were fine. So that wasnt the issue. Then I told Neil how it didnt affect me when I shifted into first. So we think my tranny might be fucked.

However, on the way home from Neils (about a 10 or 15 mile trip), it didn't ONCE have an issue starting up from a light. So I'm thinking I might have loosened up some mud or fixed something in my tranny when I was manually shifting it into first yesterday.. IDK?

-Brandon

Nosilla

seems to me like it is wanting to start out in second.

astrogiblet

Yea.. I ended up driving 120 miles total today, and it didn't do it at all. Not sure what happened.

I guess I'll just wait till it happens again or starts happening frequently again then I can take it to a dealer (otherwise I can't show them the problem, ya know?).

-Brandon