Regular Copper Plugs or.... ?

Started by astrogiblet, July 15, 2007, 12:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astrogiblet

I've heard lots and lots of conflicting opinions on this matter. Some people say if your vehicle came stock from the dealer with copper plugs, then you should stay with copper plugs. Others say platinum/iridium/etc will last longer and provide a better spark..

What do you guys think?

In my old Intrepid I used to run quad tip platinums, until a guy at autozone told me that not only do you not get any performance increase from them, but, due to the four tips, they can actually screw up the air circulation inside your motor and hurt performance.

Now I'm not sure if I really believe that quad tips can hurt the air circulation or not, but I do believe that they don't provide any performance increase.

But.. I'm wondering what you guys run? I'm about to go buy new plugs, I've been burning through amazing amounts of gas lately, and I pulled my plugs today and they were COOKED.. missing metal, burned, looking horrible. I've never seen plugs this bad.

So should I buy platinum or some other kind of higher end plugs, or just stay with the basic coppers?

-Brandon

astrogiblet

Also, checking sparkplugs.com, they list Champion "Truck Plugs" as an option...

Heres the description of truck plugs:

Quote from: "SparkPlugs.com"Champion's Truck Plug was designed specifically for pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles. Features include a black glazed, zirconia-enhanced ceramic insulator, which offers 40% more strength than other spark plugs. This provides durability under rough driving conditions. The massive copper cored center and ground electrodes are 20% larger than ordinary spark plugs. This design allows the plug to thrive in the rough environments of trucks and sport utility vehicles. Tests have shown substantial increase in electrode life over standard designs in truck engines.

http://sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?p ... IA=1316013

I'm wondering if those might be worth a try..

-Brandon

jeepfan1974

i would just go with a iridium plug they are the best but are costly if thats to rich for ya there are platnums       oh and i use champion truck plugs they work great and are on sale at autozone for .99 a plug so are the splitfire plugs witch i havent tried in a stock engine yet you need a strong spark like from msd i got a set today for the yj its set up with all that stuff so they should work great
Let\'s go wheeling!

astrogiblet

Yea.. I was thinking about iridium. Its nice only having to buy 4 plugs... I can afford to splurge :D.

I just called Autozone, and the guy said, in his opinion, to go with anything but champion plugs (I've heard this from other people a lot too).. As they are the cheapest plug they sell. He said he can't guarantee that I would see any improvement or anything, but he feels that you should try to avoid the champion plugs. As far as platinum vs copper vs iridium, he really didn't have any opinion on that..

Looks like the only iridium plugs autozone sells are the Bosch Iridium Fusion ones.. they are $10 a piece too.. That might be a little too rich for me.. I'm really thinking the truck plugs might be the next best option..

-Brandon

Nosilla

I have champions in mine.

astrogiblet

Yea, I went with the champion truck plugs.. They are awesome.

My Jeep runs so much better now. Changed the plugs (which were AMAZINGLY destroyed), wires, dist cap, and the ignition rotor.

-Brandon

dbikers

Quote from: "Nosilla"I have champions in mine.
yup, me too....$1.29 ea
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain

astrogiblet

Quote from: "dbikers"
Quote from: "Nosilla"I have champions in mine.
yup, me too....$1.29 ea

Mine were 99 cents :) BTW was that you the other day I saw coming down dort on my way back from a delivery?

-Brandon

dbikers

dude, you can't spot me unless i'm in my jeep :o
othewise, i'm incognito in the ranger......
Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
             -- Mark Twain