General McMaster and two tracking

Started by Paul Hittie, February 23, 2017, 12:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Hittie

How are the new National Security Advisor and two tracking connected?  Capt McMaster commanded a cavalry unit in the first Gulf war, and was the victor in a decisive, lop sided victory against a numerically superior Iraqi unit.  He used speed, excellent tactical planning, and a secret weapon unknown to the Iraqi forces...GPS.  Much like the Allies in WW2 who assumed the Ardennes forest was too tough for German armored formations to negotiate, the Iraqi commander assumed the Coalition forces would be unable to navigate in the open desert  away from the roads.  He set up a text book defense (he had previously trained in the US) of a small town using several almost  imperceptible  hills for cover and positioning his forces in depth.  What he did not expect was a US Cavalry officer travelling cross country with a small but powerful mechanized force guided by satellites.  The Battle of 73 Easting was short and intense, and McMaster was awarded the Silver Star for his conduct of the battle. 

Just somerhing to keep in mind this weekend as we head into the woods guided by affordable, reliable GPS  receivers and satellite-based maps to attack the Hills of Montezuma with our recreational vehicles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
When you stumble in life, Make it Part of Your Dance

StingRay66

Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

alan6271

There is a great documentary on that battle on the history channel.  It's a couple hours long if I recall and has some pretty awesome details about it including how they used GPS and the Iraqi Army was completely dumbfounded.  This was not the regular Iraqi army but the Iraqi Republican Guard which was their special forces division.  They had better training and new equipment than the regular Iraqi Army and they got completely devastated.

You typed all that from your Samsung phone Paul?  Your fingers must be bleeding!
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

Yellow TJ

Paul Hittie

Quote from: Yellow TJ on February 23, 2017, 02:23:36 PM
Can I mount a 50 caliber to my roof?
Jarhead has a pair of air cooled .30s on his hood of his H2, I don't see a single 50 on the roof as overkill. 

Paul Hittie

Quote from: alan6271 on February 23, 2017, 02:05:49 PM

You typed all that from your Samsung phone Paul?  Your fingers must be bleeding!

I knew I recognized his name from somewhere, I didn't connect the dots until the Battle of 73 Easting came up in my search. 

I actually took a lunch break today, and once I started typing it just sort of flowed...

bullhed78

I love America and peace through superior firepower and tactics.