Started by bjcaines, November 08, 2008, 10:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjcaines

Wanted:

2.5 Engine for a 99 Wrangler, under 100K miles

please call 734-391-5093

NewRide

Cody you ready to sell yours yet ?  ::poke::  ::poke::
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."
   - Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

TechJeeper

You come pull it, its yours! A 2.5L converted into a diesel/gas hybrid!  Add oil to the motor, add unleaded to that tanks, and your rollin' coal!  Uses about 4 quarts per tank!

lol, jk, one note, while doing the swap, I would highly recommend throwing a Taurus electric fan in, takes alot of stress off the motor.

bjcaines

I did some googling and found that the following makes/models are compatible:

97-01 cherokee
97-02 dakota
99-02 wrangler

Can anyone offer any input on the validity of that claim?

Thanks - wanna get her running in time to enjoy the snow!

Betty Jo

TechJeeper

My motor in my '00 TJ is from a '86 Jeep Camanche Pickup, that was fitted into Jeepfan's YJ before going in my Jeep.  It was a fairly pain free swap.

94_xj_country

Quote from: "Gr8archer"It was a fairly pain free swap.
super pain free. as i recall 5 people stood there and watched you and doug do all the work  :D
support the sport - http://www.glfwda.org

NewRide

I can attest to that !!! :beer:   ::woot::  ::woot::
"I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with typewriters."

Nosilla

I thought it was a messy swap. At least the floor thought so.

bjcaines

So, I take it some things had to be changed before you could swap it to fit the YJ - mind telling me what was different??  I'm a chevy girl, jeep's are a new thing for me...

Nosilla

If you are taking out a 2.5 the swap is very straight forward.

Where are you located?

bjcaines

I'm in Romulus (Metro Airport)

I am looking for an engine to replace what I have, not necessarily wanting to modify a engine to fit.  The one I have was knocking really bad, but it locked up entirely today  :(

NewRide

If you are looking to do a straight swap then thats not bad at all.

bjcaines

So, I have an opportunity to buy a 2.5 from a 96 Wrangler (but everything I read says I need a 97 or newer) - Can I get your opinions?  Will it bolt up to my trans and hook right up?  The numbers on the block just below the distributor are:  309XHX27.

Thanks guys!

Nosilla

I say go for it. It can't be from a 96 wrangler though, maybe 95. They didn't make a wrangler in 96.

TechJeeper

Quote from: "Nosilla"I say go for it. It can't be from a 96 wrangler though, maybe 95. They didn't make a wrangler in 96.

WHOLY CRAP! I never realized that! Haha, learn something new every day.