Master power switch for winch?

Started by alan6271, December 18, 2014, 07:41:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan6271

Does anyone use some sort of battery switch or a master power switch for their winch?  The Warn I bought didn't come with one but it seems to me like you'd want some way to disconnect the winch power from the battery since that 4 gauge cable isn't fused.  If I were to get into a wreck and the cable was severed it could lead to a fire it seems.  What do you guys do?
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

gogolen

bullhed78

I don't have one but the same thought process has gone through my mind. I will probably install one at some point or another.

StingRay66

I have plans to install one after Ed's relay stuck and I had to do a fast disconnect with a wrench before it started back winding the cable and made a mess
Russ

No God ....................No Peace

Know God ................Know Peace

alan6271

I have read A LOT about the relays sticking.  It seems like it's pretty common.

Winch and bumper are done......what a sh!* show that was.  It's done for now though.

Does the group ever have like "tech nights" or anything where we go to someone's house and work on a jeep?  Drink some beer and BS?
Does anyone else smell that?  Smells like burnt hot dogs and transmission fluid!

alan6271

I am thinking about using a battery disconnect relay switch so power can be disconnected from inside the cab instead of opening the hood.  What do you guys think of this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KISSLING-BATTERY-DISC-RELAY-SWITCH-500-AMPS-12-VDC-P-N-29-511-11-NEW-/310817090317?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item485e246b0d&vxp=mtr

LPM606

Quote from: alan6271 on December 18, 2014, 06:40:50 PM
Does the group ever have like "tech nights" or anything where we go to someone's house and work on a jeep?  Drink some beer and BS?

We call it a "WrenchFest" and generally if you are buying pizza and beer you can get at least a couple people to turn up and help out with just about anything you are working on...

alan6271

Oh Man.  I like it.  I like where your heads are at.
Two of my favorite things....food and beer.

Ken

You can get a battery disconnect switch a Harbor Freight.  It has a red handle.  I use them on my camper.
Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.

alan6271

I have thought of that for sure.  I really want like a 700 amp relay that I can just flip a switch on the dash and provide power to the winch or cut the power.  I guess if I can't find anything I'll go the route of the battery disconnect.  Anything is better than just leaving un-switched, high amperage power going to the winch.  I can't imagine how dangerous it could be in a collision.