Jeep 4.7 head gaskets

Started by welderman85, June 13, 2017, 09:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderman85

I was just wondering if anyone has done a set on a 4.7. my 02 WJ is going to need them done on. I have never been into a  4.7 before and just wondering if there's any tricks to make it go smoothly. Thank you

Chad149

I see you asked a while ago, and most likely have done them by now,  but i was into mine two years ago. If you still need to do it ill list some suggestions. 🍺
'04 WJ 4" long arm 33" Goodyear MTR
    F.O.R. Bumpers, rock sliders and Warn winch
'15 JK  4" BDS 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ

welderman85

Some tips would be awesome. I still haven't done them. The poor what is on the back burner. I have a 4.7 Durango I have been thinking of swapping in to the wheels just to get it back on the road.

Chad149

Plan on pulling the radiator and the condenser to start, as the timing cover is going to have to come off. Get all the chain guides, these will likely break as you loosen the bolts to remove them.
The manual will give a spec to measure the tensioners to check chain strech, but they're pretty durable and unlikely to need replacing. There's  three chains in the system, mark it in several spots with white out to double check yourself after.
Far as the head goes, there is no tolerance if it needs to be resurfaced. Mine eroded where the gasket blew, and had to be replaced. Auto zone had then for 5-600$ complete, if i recall correctly. My other head the valves and guides were in great shape, installed fresh valve seals and that was it.
I put new head bolts in just to be safe, there was also some significant changes/ updates to the timing cover at some point. If the parts store tries to give you a tube of sealant and a crank seal kit, it's wrong. Yours will be a large metal plate with a silicone layer to seal. If your Durango is newer than an '04, it might be the former.
I'd look at the oil pan too,  if that's ready to succumb to cancer, I'd seriously consider just yanking the engine and doing this all on the stand.
Any other questions ill be glad to help. 🍺
'04 WJ 4" long arm 33" Goodyear MTR
    F.O.R. Bumpers, rock sliders and Warn winch
'15 JK  4" BDS 35" Mickey Thompson MTZ

Ken

Do we need to get a wrenching party going to help you out?
Ken

2014 Copper Head Jeep JK Willys Wheeler with 3 inch lift, Front E-locker, Rear Limited Slip.
Warn Wench and Bumpers. 315 tires.

welderman85

Not yet but thank you it's been sitting sidelined for a year and a half . I want to get it done this summer but probably won't start until it's warm. I  have enough other projects to keep me busy through the winter